Hello, I’m a life/executive coach, Osami!
Yesterday, I learned many things from 10 min coaching course as well!
I’ve started to learn coaching in earnest. I find it’s so deep as long as I learn.
You can’t learn it overnight and the clients are human and their individuals are totally different from each other so I have to change my approach. I love to think “I could do it better in this way”, “how would they react with this words”.
I think the dialogue of coaching is art. The client is the artist and he work with the color the coach provides by questions. High improvisation and low reproducibility. Words come from his emotion and thoughts and he realize himself from them.
Let’s see what would happen yesterday!
- 6 Takeaways from Last Time
- Try 10 min coaching!
6 Takeaways from Last Time
Last time, I’ve learned:
- Talk about the routine when client start to talk about the task and behavior management.
- Ask “what are in your mind now?”, “how do you feel?”, “what is happening in your inside?” when the client stop to think.
- “The coaching is squeezing out a last single drop from the rag” By MatsuYumi
- Check if the client has already thought what he talk in case he is the person who does self-coaching and action by himself.
- Change the words/questions depending on the client’s habit of thought.
- Conscious about which acknowledgement the client likes.
Talk about the routine when client start to talk about the task and behavior management.
Yesterday, both of me and my client talked about task management mainly.
When such a topic, there are some reason why it doesn’t go well.
- the client doesn’t want that much
- the client forget to do it
- the client doesn’t have enough time to do it …..etc
This time my client couldn’t predict well about how long the task take and my teacher advised us that in this case we could ask “in the first place, is it possible do your task in your routine?”.
Certainly, the plan ended in failure often if there is no reason to do the task in your routine though it’s good plan.
As a coach, focus on that and ask them how they can do for that.
Check if the client has already thought what he talk in case he is the person who does self-coaching and action by himself.
Actually this is about me as a client, I always have been bothering to decide the theme.
Everytime I sorry for the coach but I start by saying “I’m thinking what to talk today…” lol.
Because I do self-coaching when I decide the theme and sometime later I decide next action for that. So the case above happens. However in order to check my decision, I talk about what I thought beforehand.
In this case, as a coach you check if the client finished to think about the theme already.
- Do you really need to talk about the theme now?
- You have finished to think about it, haven’t you?
with the questions like above, ask the client if they really should think about it during the coaching session. If the client still don’t know what to talk, support to squeeze out last single drop of thought from the brain. Ask “what else?”
Conscious about which acknowledgement the client likes.
One of the most important technic of coaching is “Acknowledgement”.
You can push the back of client by using acknowledgement effectively.
Depends on the person, the favorite of acknowledgement is different.
For example, I prefer to be praised about the process but not the result.
So you can motivate the client by acknowledge how the client likes.
You can also utilize the acknowledgement in general life. You can check what kind of words are relevant for them.
Please check this Youtube video which introduce about the “Acknowledgement”!
Try 10 min coaching!
From January in 2021, I start 10 min coaching session!